Pages

05 April, 2009

Our (Namesake) National Pledge...


When was the last time you took the national pledge?
...
In fact, do you even know what the national pledge is?

The National Pledge of India is as follows:
India is my country.
All Indians are my brothers and sisters.
I love my country and I am proud of
its rich and varied heritage.
I shall always strive to be worthy of it.
I shall give my parents, teachers and all elders
respect and treat everyone with courtesy.
To my country and my people,
I pledge my devotion.
In their well-being and prosperity alone,
lies my happiness.

I used to take this pledge everyday for 10 years, at my school. But I never gave importance to it, until now.

I wish to explain you its relevance in this so-called modern India:-

India is my country.
Well, does that need any explanation?

All Indians are my brothers and sisters.
The biggest lie I have ever heard! I can't stop wondering why brothers would abuse, injure and kill themselves. And sisters don't backstab each other, do they?

I love my country and I am proud of its rich and varied heritage.
Oh...really? Then the next thing you will say is foreigners inscribe love signs and messages on national monuments, right?

I shall always strive to be worthy of it.
Should that be...I shall always strive to make my country unworthy of me?

I shall give my parents, teachers and all elders respect and treat everyone with courtesy.
Do you really know what respect and courtesy mean?

To my country and my people, I pledge my devotion.
Would that be a devotion to corruption and bribery?

In their well-being and prosperity alone, lies my happiness.
I guess nobody remembers the Gujarat riots of 2002..

Am I being too harsh? I am sorry, but this is the truth. But all is not lost, my friend. Hope all that you want.

And if you want to undo all that happened to your, mine and our country, GET UP...

GET UP...and vote in the upcoming elections. Don't vote for money, but for prosperity.

VOTE against all that you think is wrong...and wake up to see a DEVELOPED INDIA!