Pages

16 July, 2009

Is it Gateway or Getaway of India?

I had been to The Gateway Of India a couple of days ago...


My visit reminded me about the 26/11 attacks...

The Taj hotel seemed passive...trying to heal its wounds...


The road which leads to The Gateway of India is known as the Prem Ramchandani Marg. It is named after a hero, who gave his life for the nation at the tender age of 24. His words, inscribed in gold, on a slab, are still echoing in my ears - I regret I have but one life, to give for my country.

I wholeheartedly salute his patriotism and his dedication towards our country.

Besides all this, the Gateway Of India stands as a heritage monument with the serene Arabian Sea on one side, and the collection of beautiful building on another.

The vicinity at the monument is pathetic...it is a complete mess! People can't understand the signifance of a national heritage site. There is garbage spread around...

It is not only because of the ignorance of people, but also because of 1 important reason - There is not a single dustbin in the vicinity of The Gateway of India.
When asked, the local policemen don't know what a 'dustbin' means...For me, this is quite shameful.

Describing the Arabian Sea, don't be shocked to find empty plastic bottles and trash in the waters...

We people don't seem to understand the meaning of cleanliness. After my previous post, these are all reasons why you must maintain cleanliness...

Just think, what would tourists think of us? Do we want ourselves to be labelled as naive people of a great country?

Just think about it, once more...

We don't want to bring our culture and customs to shame...

If all this goes on, then soon we will have to name 'Gateway Of India' as 'Getaway of India'!